Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Book Review - Love's Pursuit

Love's Pursuit
Author - Siri Mitchell
Publisher - Bethany House

When I first spotted Love's Pursuit, I made a mental note that I wanted to read it. Judging from that first glance, I thought it might be an interesting read. I know, I was judging a book by its cover initially, but as I read the description I knew it was something I'd be interested in. I love good Christian historical fiction.


Love's Pursuit is set in Stoneybrooke, MA in 1640. Mitchell's story introduces us to Susannah Phillips, a member of a small Puritan colony. By all appearances, Susannah is a good girl, a model Puritan, an example to her peers and fellow citizens. Looks can be deceiving, however, and Susannah struggles with right and wrong, truly knowing God, and figuring out what she is all about. Her inner struggles escalate with the arrival of Captain Daniel Holcombe, who is sent to train a local militia in the event of an Indian attack.

Captain Holcombe is a puzzle to the townspeople, who appreciate his help but not his heathen ways. Susannah tries to avoid the Captain, a task difficult to do since he is staying in the Phillips' home. Susannah soon finds herself with an unexpected affection for the Captain, and the feeling seems to be mutual. But what of John Prescotte, the young man Susannah thought she'd marry? Or Simeon Wright, the owner of the sawmill who might be interested in Susannah too?

At first, Susannah does what she thinks is right, and follows her good girl Puritan heart. Circumstances cause her self-assurance to falter. I won't give anything away - you'll just have to read Susannah's story. But I will tell you that love, jealousy, and intrigue are intertwined into this tale that Ms. Mitchell artfully weaves. You'll find many surprises, happy and sad, as you travel down the path that Susannah has chosen. Ms. Mitchell is a great story teller, and I look forward to reading her other books.

Happy reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!