Monday, February 1, 2016

Meet The Blogger with Jennifer Brown Banks


The February edition of Meet the Blogger features freelance writer Jennifer Brown Banks. Many of you already know Jennifer; she's the smart and savvy individual behind the award winning blog, Pen and Prosper.

What you might not know is that Jennifer recently published a book. It's entitled  7 Wide, Poetic Reflections, and is a collection of poems that is designed to appeal to a diverse audience. Ever keeping us in the loop of great writing advice and tips, Jennifer is as sweet and kind as they come. She's been a faithful friend and colleague, and I am excited to help her celebrate her newest accomplishment.


Welcome Jennifer! So glad you could stop by. :) What is your blog about?


Thank you, Karen! Pen and Prosper is devoted to helping writers at all levels and genres to grow more, know more, and reach their full creative potential. It's about the writing life and exploring creativity in all its myriad forms.



Your devotion is evident in each post. It's a wonderful source of practical info for writers. What benefits have you gained through blogging? 


How much time do you have? LOL I have gained so many tangible and intangible benefits:

  • A supportive community
  • A bigger, stronger platform 
  • Blogging buddies worldwide
  • A more experienced and well tuned writer's voice
  • The joy of connecting with and learning from others
  • Industry recognition for my work - I'm pleased to be among the "Top 100 Writing Blogs for 2016"
  • An added income stream (I set up blogs for other writers, conduct "Blog Audits", and sell ad space)


Blogging can be a great experience, I agree. We reap so many benefits. Congratulations on 7 Wide! What prompted you to write it? What types of poetry will we find within the pages?



Thanks, Karen! It's been long overdue. Though I have contributed articles, essays, and blog posts to numerous publications over the years, poetry is for me. It's a great way to measure emotional growth and chronicle the highs and lows of life. I realized upon reflection, that it had been quite a few years since my last poetry title had been released. So now just seemed like a good time.

 7 Wide is a dynamic collection of more than 40 poems on love, life, and social issues that will appeal to audiences of a diverse readership.
 


I'd not thought of poetry quite like that; your insight is helpful. What have you learned through the process of writing 7 Wide?

I've learned that poetry is cathartic. That writing a book provides a true sense of accomplishment and closure. And that poetry still remains one of my favorite genres in which to dabble. 

What advice would you give someone who wants to write a book?

Put out a quality product, even if it's self published. Like your kids, it's a reflection of you.

Excellent advice! Thanks again for sharing with us today. Wishing you well with your new book. 

Thanks Karen! 


More About Jennifer

Jennifer Brown Banks is an award winning blogger, award winning poet, veteran freelance writer, content creator, columnist, and seasoned bargain hunter. Her publishing credits include Pro Blogger, Men with Pens, Write to Done, Tiny Buddha, and South 85 Literary Journal. When not at the keyboard, she digs reading, cooking, music, shopping, herbal tea, and chocolate.

Visit Jennifer's blog, Pen and Prosper

Purchase 7 Wide on Amazon


Do you enjoy reading/writing poetry? Have any questions for Jennifer?

Happy writing,

Karen



Photo credit: Free Images

35 comments :

  1. Great to meet Jennifer. And it sounds like she's used her blog to her benefit herself professionally too, which is great. So agree with her thoughts on the benefits of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie,

      Lovely to "meet" you. Thanks so much for your thoughts. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Karen, for the interview. I always love "connecting" with you. As the kids say, "You're the bestest!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,
    Jennifer truly does practice what she preaches! She's a help and inspiration. :)

    Jennifer,
    It's my pleasure to host you this week! Excited for you about the new book! :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, Jennifer is a real gem. Nice to know that poetry also trips her trigger. I have been resurrecting older poems and toying with them. Poetry is a such a creative outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved meeting Jennifer, amigo. Blogging goes along way to forging life friendships. After all, I would never have met Karen (the best amigo in the world) without blogging. Here lately, I've let it go. I pretty much suck at it these days. I have had a burnout situation going on. I will read her blog, amigo. A friend of yours is a friend indeed (or something like that). XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,

      Thanks for your visit; I can feel your warmth across the miles. :-) But I'm afraid I'll have to fight ya' over Karen-she's my best amigo too. LOL

      Delete
  6. Impressive you made the list for top 100 blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I must say, it came as quite a surprise and blessing!
      :-)

      Delete
  7. Jennifer is one of my faves! She designed my blog (twice) and never fails to inform and inspire on her own. 7 Wide sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,

      You're one of my "faves" too! Thanks so much for stopping by
      today. :-)

      Delete
  8. Linda,
    Jennifer is a gem, I agree! Poetry is a wonderful outlet, that's for sure! Glad you stopped over. :)

    Robyn,
    You will like Jennifer's blog, I am sure! :) You are so sweet, too, just in case you didn't know! No slackers in the blog department - you need a break, amigo, so you should take all the time you need. You've had a lot going on the last year or so, so you deserve it. Don't be too hard on yourself! xo

    Alex,
    Isn't that great? And we can say we know Jennifer...we should ask for her autograph, don't you think? :)

    Susan,
    She's a fave of mine too! :) And we all met through blogging, which is such a blessing. What fun we'd have if we all got together. With chocolate, of course.

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are wonderful benefits. Pen and Prosper seems like a great resource blog for writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeia,

      I don't want to appear biased here, but indeed it is! :-) I hope you'll visit soon. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. Karen: This was a nice surprise for me today. Thank you for having Jennifer this month.

    Jennifer: I fell out of the loop last fall and have not fully gotten back to writing. I enjoyed your blog. I will try to get back to reading it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Quietspirit, I've missed seeing you at the site; hope to reconnect real soon. :-) Take care.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jennifer - I met you through Karen's blog. :) I've enjoyed reading your posts over the last few years and look forward to more. Congrats on your new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan. I value your readership and support! :-)

      Delete
  12. Medeia,
    I agree, they are wonderful benefits! :) Hope you get a chance to check P&P out!

    Cecelia,
    Good to see you again. Hope things are on the upswing for you. So glad you were able to come by! :)

    Susan,
    She's a gem, isn't she? So many benefits from following Jennifer's blog! :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Jennifer!
    Do you find you plug into a different type of "muse" for writing poetry than you do for prose? What inspires you the most?
    Happy Day,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question, Jeanette. :-) With poetry I am most inspired by my moods and life's observations. With prose, I think it's providing teachable moments. I hope this makes sense.:-)

      Delete
  14. Love the analogy of kids and books. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer and Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen,
    That's a good question! With all the other work Jennifer does, I wonder about that too. :)

    Carol A.,
    That's a good analogy, isn't it? You are welcome. So good to see you! :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview. Loved hearing about Jennifer and her success. Very inspiring. We live in such a small world. Makes my heart warm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great to met Jennifer. Yes poetry can be quite cathartic and almost like a crossword puzzle on the brain wrestling with language and rhythym. Great interview. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the interview. I like what she said about making your product (no matter what it is) the very best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joylene,
    Thanks so much! It's always a pleasure to hear from Jennifer! I agree, it is a small world. :)

    Medeleine,
    Glad you came by and got to meet her! :) I like that - a crossword puzzle on the brain.

    Lee,
    You are welcome! I like that too. Wise words, indeed! :) Can always count on Jennifer for insight.

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great benefits! I especially like the blogging buddies worldwide. And great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd like to glean off Jennifer how she accomplishes everything in her time! So important to write what you love, and glad Jennifer followed her passion to publish poetry again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Karen and Jennifer - what a lovely post to read and to learn from. I've never got into poetry .. yet when I read it - it's lovely and that's an advantage of blogging - we get a chance to sample all sorts and to open our eyes to areas we haven't spent time in. Also we get to learn from fellow bloggers and meet new friends ... it's been great knowing Karen for some while now - and Jennifer I've 'seen you around'!! Cheers and good luck to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lynda,
    I agree! And agree about the worldwide buddies too! :) Thanks for hopping over to see us.

    Lynn,
    I am thinking Jennifer is extremely disciplined with her time. :) She's an inspiration!

    Hilary,
    Glad you enjoyed the post! Appreciate your kind thoughts. :) It's been wonderful getting to know you as well, Hilary! We're some of those worldwide friends, aren't we?

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!