Monday, August 11, 2014

August Inspiration and Links







In good writing, words become one with things.


Ralph Waldo Emerson


Do you agree with Mr. Emerson? I do, and believe that we paint pictures large and small for our readers. Not an easy task always, but one that satisfies our need to communicate with others.  

Here are a few resources that might help your words become a grand image and inspiration for your readers:


Feeling unproductive and uninspired? Carol Tice offers advice for freelancers in this post, 5 Super Easy Ways Freelance Writers Can Stand Out.

Here's another "5" post from Brian Klems that might offer a boost - 5 Writing Lessons Inspired by Famous Writers.

Do you know the differences between writing for the middle grade and young adult audiences? Brian Klems breaks it down in The Key Differences Between Middle Grade vs.Young Adult
 
Need a break from the routine? Check out Jean Fischer's Fun Friday - 6 Quizzes for Writers. Interesting stuff!

Have you or anyone you know self published a book? The 2nd Annual Writer's Digest Self Published eBook Awards offers a grand prize of $3000 cash. Hurry, deadline to enter is September 2, 2014.

Are you a poet? Writer's Digest has a contest for you too. Their Poetry Award contest offers a $1000 grand prize. Early registration deadline is October 1, 2014, regular deadline is October 31.  Click here for details.


What do you think of Emerson's quote? Do you have any links or tips to share? What are you writing this week?

Happy writing,
Karen


Photo credit: Stock Exchange

21 comments :

  1. Emerson has so many amazing quotes...and this is one of his best for sure. Have a great Monday Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen - some people have the knack with words and their ability to string ideas succinctly together ... it's an art as well as an inbuilt creative force ... it can probably be developed over time (possibly depending on our ability to see where we could improve, and where growth can come from).

    You've given us lots of links here to look at .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo--black-eyed susans are one of my favorite flowers :-) Thanks for the links. The Fun Friday quizzes' one pops out at me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote and I'll check out the links. I'll be revising this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three thousand dollars is a lot of cash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me think that when you learn a foreign language, you get so you can say the word without thinking or translating in your head. That's how good writing would be--you see the scene and object without any difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keith,
    Yes, he does offer a lot of inspiration through his words! Wonder if he realized it at the time? Happy Monday to you too!

    Hilary,
    You've got that right, and I think you are one of them. And practice only make us better, doesn't it? :) Hope you find one or two useful links!

    Kenda,
    Glad you liked the photo! They are some of my favorites too. :) Hope you enjoy the Friday quizzes!

    Medeia,
    Hope the links are useful! Best wishes with the revisions! :)

    Alex,
    Yes it is! It would be fun if one of my friends won! :)

    Diane,
    And as an artist/photographer, you can appreciate that even more! :)

    Terri,
    That's an excellent point! I hadn't thought of it quite like that. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing those links!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I like it.

    That's what I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen! I checked out the article for free lance writers, thank you! I have just been through quite a few rejections for my writing submissions, and I know I took it too personally. It's good to read somewhere else that you have to pick up your toys and move on.

    I do agree with the quote you have here. Don't we all see the scene in our minds, and then struggle to find words to make it as beautiful as we see it? I know I do. I also read somewhere that good writing gives words 'wings'. I like that too.
    Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I do agree with this. I'd never read it before. Thanks for sharing, and for the links.

    Happy Tuesday!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. HR,
    You are welcome! Hope you find something useful. :)

    Rhonda,
    I thought you might. I surely did. :)

    Ceil,
    I do like that - about picking up your toys and moving on. It is so true with a lot of things, isn't it? :)

    Jen,
    You are so welcome! Hope you find something useful. :)

    Sandi,
    I'm glad! You are more than welcome. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I agree. And, I like the one where she said writers give words wings. I've been editing my MG - again. I've edited it so many times, but I do think each time it is getting better. My writing group thinks it's ready to submit now - hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with Emerson. It's when the book disappears and just becomes a movement of imagination that we really succeed as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janet,
    Congrats on making good progress! Often the editing takes the longest, doesn't it Or it seems to anyway. lol :)

    Crystal,
    That's another good point, and another facet of that ever important take away value. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with the quote. Mr. Emerson always makes me think. :) Thanks for sharing all the helpful links! I look forward to checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woops- I didn't realize Stephanie had logged into her work account from my computer. :)

    I agree with the quote. Mr. Emerson always makes me think. :) Thanks for sharing all the helpful links! I look forward to checking them out.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephanie/Jess,
    He always makes me think too! :) You are more than welcome. Hope the links are helpful!
    Happy writing,
    Karen


    ReplyDelete
  19. That's the challenge, to create something that seems real when it isn't. If you can make your words do that, you've got a good story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!