Monday, June 22, 2009

Do You Have a Back Up Plan?

I've learned the hard way over the years how important it is to back up documents. While happily typing, I've often thought, well, I'll save this on my flash drive tomorrow...Well, actually, tomorrow could be too late! With my recent computer adventures (for those of you just tuning in - the hard drive went on my laptop several weeks ago), I've thought a lot about my backup methods for documents, photos, and files.

Any time I complete an article and send it off to an editor, I send a blind copy to my email storage account. I also often send it to another email account for double backup. I'd rather have an inbox full of articles and other writing, than to risk losing my work altogether. I make sure that I check my email storage account regularly, too, so that it remains an active account.

Another part of my backup plan is my flash drive. This handy little device has been a lifesaver. It is easy to use and completely portable. If you've never had one, I highly recommend getting one. They have come down in price over the years, have various storage capabilities, and did I mention they were easy to use? I must admit, I thought they were a bit mysterious and high- tech when my oldest son got one for college years ago. But I've learned that they are super user-friendly and a nifty little technological treasure that fits into your pocket.

There are also numerous online storage sites. Most offer free storage for home users, up to a certain amount of space, and then charge a small fee per month above that. There are business options available as well; these have various fees depending on how much storage you need. I have yet to try an online storage site, but after my recent computer crash, am thinking I need to look into it. I know other writers who recommend them.

Here are a few links for online storage:

http://www.offsitebackupsolutions.com/

http://mozy.com/

So what's your backup plan? Just wondering....

Happy writing!

2 comments :

  1. My dh backs up all my computer files and burns them onto a cd once in a while, and I've emailed my books to myself. But I want to get a flash drive.....my kids have them, but I still don't.

    This post is an important one for all writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb. Learning the hard way is never fun:) Valuable, but not fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!