Monday, November 23, 2009

Looking for Names?



Do you need a name for a character? Why not try this site for some ideas? Behind the Name is a site where you can learn the etymology and history of names.

One nice feature is the Random Name Generator page. This is fun! You may choose male/female, first name/last name/both, nationality, time period, and more. Once you make your choices, click on "Generate a Name" and it gives you a name, randomly chosen of course. This could come in handy if you want something creative and different, or are just plain stuck for a good name. The nice thing is, if you don't like the random name it gives you, you can go back and do it again.

Behind the Name's main page allows you to browse names by nationality, if you are in the mood for that instead. They also have a "Fun Stuff" page, where you can view name ideas for twins, look at anagram names from around the world, and find names with themes, such as 'strong' names, or 'fiery' ones.

When I visited, I wasn't looking for a character's name, but it was interesting to play around with the name generator, and to find out what names are 'red', and which ones are 'purple'. Anyone looking for names? Let us know what interesting ones you find.

Blessings, and of course, Happy Writing!

14 comments :

  1. Wow, Karen, wish I had this when I was naming babies...but then there wasn't even a World Wide Web!
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    Yes, that would have been helpful for me too. Maybe we can suggest it to the kids for our grandchildren? :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Behind the name is a great sight. I love to look for background of names when I learn the identity of a new character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Kristin, it is an interesting stop. I think I am going to bookmark it. Thanks for stopping:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen -

    I've been on the Random Name Generator, and had fun with it. Thanks for the other links. I'll have to check them out.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcome, Susan. Glad you had fun with it:) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, I need a name! I guess you know where I'm headed too. Thanks bunches for the heads up on this. I will bookmark it, that's for sure.

    Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn,
    Glad to hear that this might be helpful:) Someone in my writer's group came across it and I knew I had to share it. Thanks for stopping, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always trying to figure out a decent name for my characters and always am terrible at it. I plan to go check out these links. THank you for always being so willing to share useful information with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terri,
    I'm blessed to do it! It's fun finding great resources; they just beg to be shared:) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link. This could be very helpful for me!!! I'm name challenged in general.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eileen,
    Yes, I can be name challenged too. That's why I was happy about this site:) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen:
    Thank you for this information. I really think it will get some use from me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cecelia,
    You're welcome, glad it might be of help to you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!