Monday, December 4, 2017

How to Avoid Being a Blog Snob




When I first began blogging nearly nine years ago, I was as green as they came. So I invested time in educating myself, gleaning from "how-to" articles, reading others' blogs, observing standard practices from successful bloggers, heeding veteran writing friends' advice, etc. My skills improved, as did my grasp on blog etiquette. I gained followers, generated and made comments and voila, I was a bona fide blogger! Or so I thought. I still had much to learn...

I learned that posting consistently is important. Readers need to know your schedule, appreciate return comments and visits to their blogs, and so on. As I strove to uphold this blogging code, I noticed at times where others did not always use this code I so diligently followed. I puzzled over why they did not follow suit. To be fair, most of those who I regularly interacted with were kind and consistent. But I did begin to form a bit of a prejudice against those who were not. That's right, for a short time, I became a blog snob. It wasn't that I was offended at their lack of attention or reciprocation, I just had an attitude of, "Hey, if I can keep up with this, why can't you?" Yeah well, I told you I was green. And quite the silly girl.

Thankfully, this state of snobbery did not last long. I got a healthy dose of reality when accosted by a busier schedule, book contract, and other assorted and necessary commitments. There simply weren't enough hours in the day to remain on top of things all the time. No doubt about it, I discovered that schedules and expectations had to be adjusted. The reality of all this offered the swift kick I needed; I was ashamed of the bit of smugness that crept in. Suddenly I had eyes to see what the reality of it was. These lovely bloggers were busy too, couldn't always reciprocate, didn't embrace the same things I did, and/or just had to let some things fall by the wayside. Blogging is a wonderful thing, but unless we have superpowers or a team of virtual assistants, it can become taxing to even the heartiest soul.

Now I'm sure that none of you have ever been tempted to be a blog snob. But if you happen to know anyone who might fall into that trap, here are four things I learned that lent perspective:

1) Extend Grace

We've often no idea what's going on in another person's life. So if they don't live up to our expectations, blogging or otherwise, we need to allow them the grace and space to be who and where they are. Yeah, there are times and instances to challenge others in a loving and diplomatic manner, but this probably isn't one of them.

2) Not Everyone Fits or Follows

As bloggers, we're a diverse group. We're good about crossing genres and topics when it comes to interacting, but sometimes it doesn't end up being fruitful or a good fit. We've all got 24 hours in the day to use wisely, and must prioritize accordingly. Which can mean we don't follow every blog all the time. And no one should hassle another about following, or not.

3) Your Cup of Tea

Lest we get tempted to be offended by others' actions, remember that our blogs, beliefs and principles, styles, etc. will not be everyone's cup of tea. And that's okay.


4) Lend a Hand

If you know someone's going through challenging times, extend a hand. Most bloggers would welcome a guest post to take the heat off during a tough or busy stretch. Or stop and comment, share their post on social media, or simply send an email letting them know you're thinking of or praying for them.


I'd probably be remiss if I didn't include some tips I've learned since the blog snob days. These six items have helped me maintain blogging balance.


1) Short Posts Can Be Your Friend

Short posts, though not always as meaty as long ones, can offer great info, feedback, and connection potential. Share a quote, ask a question, highlight a topic - you can still engage readers in this manner. High word count doesn't guarantee quality content.

2) Schedule Posts

When possible, it's always great to schedule posts in advance. It can be a lifesaver for the busy blogger. 

3) Regular Features

Posts of this type provide good content, can be scheduled in advance, and can be the backbone to consistency. My Meet the Blogger and Miscellaneous Monday features have been successful staples.

4) Less is More

There are those who can post every day or several times a week, but if that's not your thing, that's okay. Post once a week, twice a month or whatever suits you best. It's got to be manageable, otherwise it'll be too much. Choose sanity over frustration.

5) Manage Your Time Wisely

This is tricky, and an ongoing challenge if we want to be healthy and productive. Family, work, social media, and necessary commitments - we need to find and maintain our right balance. Give yourself some grace, be flexible, set good boundaries.

6) Breaks are Good

Time to regroup, recharge, and catch up on other things is crucial. And therapeutic. The blogging world will carry on in our absence. We'll be missed, most likely, but it'll all be there when we return.


Have you ever been a blog or other kind of snob? Did I miss anything here? What helps you stay afloat with blogging and other commitments? What are you working on this month?

I'll be taking a break and will return on January 15, 2018. I hope you enjoy a lovely holiday season with your loved ones! Thanks so much for being so wonderful, kind, and faithful. :)

Happy writing, 
Karen 



Photo image: Pexels

32 comments :

  1. Not everyone is consistent - just like in the real world - and we have to accept that.
    Breaks are good sometimes.
    Have a blessed Christmas and see you in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I try to visit everyone who comments on my blog, but there have been times recently when I haven't been able to keep up. Hopefully, folks will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all good things to remember. There are days when I can't even visit any blogs. Same with visiting Facebook.

    Have a good Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this sums it up "Choose sanity". I have my featured series--and one is schedule to post on Wednesday! Ha! I think not stressing over blogging is important. It should be enjoyable. Have a great break. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I haven't always been able to keep up with all the protocol, either. Finally I just decided that I blog the way I want to, when I want to, and about the things I like to write about. It's so much more enjoyable that way. For me, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex,
    Yes, and such is life. Just took me a little longer to learn that! lol :)

    Ellen,
    Thanks so much. I hear you, it's hard to keep up sometimes. And then there are the instances where you can't find their blog (if they have one). Blogging is an adventure! :)

    Diane,
    There are days like that for me too. Used to feel guilty about that, but not anymore. Thanks so much. :)

    Holly,
    I so much prefer sanity, you know? lol :) It should really be a no stress zone!

    Elizabeth,
    Thank you. I think you're right; we need to find the balance that works for us. Glad you found a good one for you! :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen: I agree with all you have said here. Yes, I was sort of a 'blog snob' until I had my accident and was away from my computer for just over three months. Now, I still try to post three times a week. But I know it will be all right if I have to cut back. I don't handle stress very well and have had to learn to 'take a deep breath', so to speak when things start to get hectic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't have pegged you as a blog snob, Karen--you have always been so generous with information and inspiration here and on others' blogs! But I understand your point about the expectations we started out with--both what we thought we could do and what we expected out of others. I think at this stage it boils down to what you said: extend grace. To others, and to ourselves when things get busy. With this approach, blogging will continue to be a fun conversation shared with others... Enjoy your break. See you in the new year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cecelia,
    We do live and learn, don't we? Finding the right balance can take some time, but it's so helpful when we get there. :) Glad you're finding yours.

    Kenda,
    You are so sweet. I was so green at this! That's what we want, a fun conversation with others! Thanks so much.

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen! I love your term: blog snob. Ingenious! I think I went through all the same thoughts that you did. It took some experience to realize that my writing isn't for everyone, and that's okay. It's good really. That leaves room for so many other writers to find their own place too.
    I'm so glad that we are connected through our blogs. Your gentle writing, and interesting links have always led me back here. Thank you for all you do!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen - I'm definitely not consistent ... but am around - and I guess that counts. Blogging is similar to life as it should be in general - we're there, we're polite, we help each other ... we give interesting content ... and I couldn't be without blogging now - I'd have withdrawal symptoms ...

    Have a very good and happy Christmas and here's to the New Year ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen for your reply in email ... have a lovely season and all the best for next year - cheers Hilary

      Delete
  12. Hi Karen. Thank you for being one of my consistent blog commentators! I must take your points in this post to heart and perhaps one day I'll be famous like you. Seriously. I love your blog. Always informative and friendly. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ceil,
    You are so kind! I think we all go through some ups and downs with blogging. It's not always a picnic but it can be great fun. :) lol Yes, writers finding their own place, that's a good way to put it. Thanks so much for your sweet words and support.

    Hilary,
    You are more consistent than you think. Your readers know where to find you and you always have interesting content. Yes, I don't think you can stop blogging; we'd miss you too much! :) Thank you for your support.

    Susan,
    You are one sweet friend. I don't know about famous, but I am so thankful for you who stop by. :) Always enjoy my stops at your place. You're so real and funny, and just a lot of fun.

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, Karen, and all so true. I've been blogging since 2009 and also started out totally green. I love blogging very much and have thoroughly enjoyed all the wonderful people out there. You are so right that our individual blogs will not always be someone else's cup of tea and that's okay. The people who choose to follow are very special but even then they may not check in regularly. In the beginning, I had no idea if even ONE person would follow. Now I'm happy to say there are more than 400! Blogging is, indeed, time-consuming but I consider it a beloved hobby and enjoy it immensely. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is all sage advice, Karen. Thanks so much for sharing it with your followers. I seriously need to do many of these tips. And no one really knows what another person is going through unless they can walk in that person's shoes, either for the day or for a time. We need to consider that everyone is busy with life and should be afforded time to breathe. Enjoy your holidays, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan,
    There's much to learn, isn't there? I'd say you've been a successful blogger! Thanks so much for your support.

    Victoria,
    We're always learning and growing, right? I agree, breathing time is so important!

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wise advice, Karen. Things have been crazy around here, and I'm thankful to have several weeks of blog posts in the hopper. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post, Karen. I've learned so much about this blogging process, and like you, I made the snob mistake. Now I often visit bloggers who never appear on my site. I enjoy them and that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan,
    You've been keeping yourself busy, that's for sure! I admire your ability and consistency to stay ahead of the game scheduling blog posts. I should hire you. lol:)

    Lee,
    So I'm not alone in being a former blog snob! I feel a little better, lol. There's so much to learn, isn't there? Glad our paths crossed doing this blogging thing. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great and thoughtful post. I always have the best of intentions to be consistent in blogging but boy does my life get hectic at times--especially around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A thoughtful and informative post.
    I always remind myself that I have no idea what's going on in another person's life so it's good to extend grace.
    I'm also a firm believer in lending a hand by commenting and tweeting posts as much as possible, as time permits...
    Happy Writing, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent advice, Karen. I'm so glad you quit being a blog snob! LOL! I've noticed the amount of comments decreasing from when I first began blogging, but other bloggers say the same thing. So many activities vying for our time.
    Happy Christmas! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tara,
    Thanks so much. Life does get crazy doesn't it? Having one of those kinds of week now. But it's all good! :) Appreciate your thoughts.

    Michelle,
    Thank you. I agree, we don't always know and sometimes I overlook that. Working on getting better at that. :) And yes, sharing helps a lot!

    Jen,
    Thanks a bunch. Yes, my snob days are behind me! lol We're all so busy these days, but it is nice to stay connected when we can.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I suffer from 'blogger's guilt' of not being consistent. I have highs and lows as far as being a regular contributor on my blogs. No, I don't not blog because I don't want to or have nothing to write about, but because sometimes my non-blog life catches up with me and takes over. I promise myself to improve my time management and things go well for a while, then BANG, back to gaps. It does cost me followers/readers. Oh well, I live and learn. Onward and upward to a more consistent 2018. Happy Festive Season Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anita,
    In the big picture, your life is more important than your blog. :) You know this, but don't feel the pressure to conform to what others (especially a former blog snob!) might say or think. We all blog for different reasons, and our blogs need to reflect that. I think you do a fine job. :)
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. YO! Amigo. It's January. Where are you? Look how long I've been gone. I know you won't pull that one. :-)

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn! Love you back, amigo. Good to see you. Glad you are getting better. You've been through a lot. Thanks for coming by. xo

      Delete
  27. LOL! I think that's a stage all of us have to go through. Yes, I too fell into that frame of mind at one point. Thank goodness bloggers are forgiving, eh? =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Karen - You know my favorite suggestion - scheduling posts! With all the social media commitments, every shortcut helps. Great post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Crystal,
    Yeah, maybe it is! Lol Just glad to be here and not in the blog snob closet anymore. :) They are a forgiving bunch, I agree!

    Susan,
    Yes, and that's one of my favorites! :) Thanks so much!

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!