Thursday, March 28, 2013

Women's History Month

Did you know that March is Women's History Month? 

It is, and Jennifer Brown Banks of Pen and Prosper is here to share her fabulous insight on the topic.



7 Ways to Honor Women’s History Month 

By Jennifer Brown Banks 

“The best thing about being a woman is the prerogative to have a little fun,” sings Shania Twain, in a popular feel-good song. 

And, in true fashion, this month, I invite you to explore and embrace all the positive aspects of being fabulously female! 

Why?  

Because our collective contributions, strides, and strengths are worth celebrating, “girlfriend”! 

So fabulous, in fact, that Congress established Women’s History Month in 1987 to highlight the historical and social impact women have had through month-long events, programs, and awareness activities every March. 

Let’s face it: no matter what age, stage, or walk of life, women are the backbones of strong families. We are pillars in the church, caretakers, political decision makers, authors, efficiency experts, “help mates” to our men and more. True? 

If you’re on board, let’s examine a few ways to make the most of this month, and the array of opportunities to show support. 


HERE ARE 7 CREATIVE WAYS TO HONOR THIS SIGNIFICANT TIME: 

  • Interview your favorite author or blogger on your site and provide her with “15 minutes of fame.” 
  • Write a post with links to your favorite sites hosted by women. You could even devote it to different categories and niches. For instance, you could feature 3 links on cooking, 3 links on writing, 3 links on parenting. Get the idea? 
  • Post a book review on your favorite female author to Amazon.com. 
  • Throw a “Girls’ Night In” party. Invite a few close friends, watch chick flicks, talk about guys, share recipes, or whatever suits your fancy. Or make it a “Pot’s Luck” night, where everyone can bring her best dish. End the evening with gift bags given in pink. So far, I’ve participated in two this month, and both were a blast!  
  • Pay another female a compliment. You’d be surprised how affirming this can truly be for some. 
  • If you’re a guy, give your gal a day off by doing the chores for a day. Or treat her to a day of shopping. 
  • Leave a comment on your favorite female hosted blog to let the writer know that you appreciate her efforts. 

Even with just a little time left, there are ways to make this month have long reaching impact. Why not be a “s(hero)” to others? Or simply give due to a fellow diva who‘s deserving. It’s empowering, calorie free, and it’s fun!  


Jennifer Brown Banks is a veteran freelance writer, ghost writer and pro blogger. Her Blog, Pen and Prosper, was recently recognized by Livehacked.com, among “The Power 100”---the best sites for modern writers in 2013.   


 



Thank you, Jennifer, for inspiring us. You are "fellow diva who's deserving", and I appreciate you!

I don't see why we couldn't extend the Women's History Month celebration into April - what do you think? Do Jennifer's thoughts give you any ideas?

What women have been an influence in your life? 

Happy weekend,

Karen

P.S. If you missed Monday's post, I invite you to stop by! The giveaway for Annie Jones' book, Bundle of Joy, runs through Friday, 3/29 at noon.


Photo credit: Stock Exchange

29 comments :

  1. I'm all for celebrating women! If not for women, none of us would be here. And you look so much better than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alex! ;)

    Sometimes it's good to reflect on the differences between the sexes--and embrace them!

    Nice, thoughtful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,
    You do have a point there! As for better looking - guess you're right there too! LOL :)

    Cheryl,
    Good to see you. Hope all is well. :) I think you are right. There's a lot to be said for the differences.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen .. I'd thought about doing something along those lines .. but not in the last couple of years .. the notes sit there ...

    ... but now March has gone and A-Z has arrived almost!

    It's great to promote women ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. My lady friend is honoring Women's History Month by celebrating famous female mathematicians (she's a math teacher)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex,

    Glad you're on board. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheryl,

    Thanks for adding to the discussion today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, twist my arm to make me host a girls' night. :-)

    On a more serious note, I come from a predominantly male family, and that has taught me to appreciate the guidance and comfort only us women can bring to each other.

    Also, I happened to have interviewed one of my favorite female authors this very month on my blog.

    Happy Women's History Month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janette,

    Aww, go ahead. You know you wanna'! :-) Thanks for your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all for extending this celebration into April since March is almost gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilary,
    Well, maybe next year! I'm sure the notes will keep. Yes, it's hard to believe that A to Z is nearly upon us. Looking forward to it! :)

    Keith,
    Now there's a good way to celebrate it! I like that idea. :)

    Jennifer,
    Thanks again for sharing this with us. I appreciate it! :)

    Janette,
    I'm with you - a girls' night sounds like a good thing. :) An interview is a great way to celebrate, too!

    Susan,
    I thought you might be. I had every intention of doing a WHM post but didn't get to it. Jennifer rescued me! :)

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, goodness. I sure do like that Shania Twain song!

    For sure, let's go straight into April. Orange purses and all. :D

    I like the (s)heroes term, Karen. Good stuff, ladies, and congratulations to Jennifer on hitting "The Power 100" list. An honor, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Rhonda! I love just about all the songs by Shania Twain! She's awesome for sure. Thanks for the congrats and for your time and feedback. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea it is Women's History Month. Sounds like a great way to support our BFFs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I celebrate being a woman every day, but during Women's History month, I celebrate by watching power stories about women. I just finished reading "The Twelve Tribes of Hattie" and I saw the Kara Walker Exhibit at the Art Institute. So, I think I did my gender proud this month.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't even know it is Women's History Month (blush). Great post and great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhonda,
    I'm thinking you're right, we need to go straight into April with those BOPs and lots of girl time. :) Wish I could take credit for s(heroes), but Jen gets that honor! :)

    Lisa,
    Well, there's still time, you know? Nothing like this weekend, I'm thinking. :)

    Stephanie,
    It's great to meet you! Sounds like you've celebrated well this month! Thanks so much for coming by. :)

    Susie,
    I didn't either until Jen mentioned it on her blog earlier this month. Thanks a bunch, glad you liked it! :)

    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe that women should be celebrated every day.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa,

    So true. Where would we be without our BFF?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steph,

    Thanks for stopping by. Great to connect here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susanne,

    Much appreciation for your feedback today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gina,
    I agree with you! Each one of us is here for a purpose, and has special gifts and talents. So good to meet you! Thanks for commenting. :)

    Jen,
    Another winning post! Thanks again!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Jennifer's idea is excellent. Women need to remember how valuable they are. And so blessed to live in a part of the world that believes we're to be cherished. Thanks, Karen. Thanks for sharing Jennifer's insights.

    ReplyDelete
  24. As usual, Jennifer is full of excellent ideas. Thanks for sharing, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joylene,
    I agree with you, and am thankful as well to live where we do. Good to see you! :)

    Susan,
    Jen always has something good to say, doesn't she? :) Thanks for stopping by!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. A nice uplifting post. I'm all for celebrating women!

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joylene,

    I couldn't have said it better; thanks for saying it here!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Susan,

    ...You are very kind to say so. Thanks, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nas,
    Me too! :) Glad you stopped by!
    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!