Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thursday's This and That


Came across these tidbits recently...

Chuck Sambuchino of Writer's Digest is hosting The Homeric Writer's Retreat, August 2-8, 2012 in Ithaca, Greece. Featured speakers include author Jessica Bell. Check out details here. (Sounds like a great excuse to go to Greece!:)

For info on the annual Writer's Digest competition, click here. There are ten categories, including poetry, fiction, children/young adult fiction, memoirs, and magazine features. Entry fees start at $15, and the grand prize is $3000 and a trip to the WD conference in New York City. First through tenth place winners also receive some dandy prizes. Deadline is May 1.

This article, Want a Creative Boost? Stop Creating, by Tanner Christensen, offers an interesting angle on the writer's creative processes. Do you know how many calories are burned when we think?  Mr. Christensen has the answer, and shares his thoughts on tapping the potential of our imagination. 

The Coffeehouse for Writers offers online classes including Making a Scene, Blogging for Profit or Pleasure, SEO Savvy for Writers, Creating Characters, Stress Management for Writers, Your Personal Editor, Writing for Children, among others. Yours truly teaches Basic Boot Camp for Writers, which is a fun refresher of writing basics and lots more. Classes begin February 20, 2012. Click here for details and sign up info. 

In the mood for more contests? Hope Clark of Funds for Writers has a listing of current offerings on the Funds for Writers site. You might want to poke around the FFW site too, Hope shares great resources and links for writers of all levels and genres.

Speaking of Hope Clark, Jennifer Brown Banks posted a great interview with Hope over at Pen and Prosper this week. Good stuff!


Do you have any great links or tidbits to share? Any fabulous weekend plans?


Happy weekend,
Karen




Photo credit: Stock Exchange

27 comments :

  1. I know Jessica is really excited about that retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen!

    Read the interview with Hope at Pen and Prosper - what a neat lady!

    Planning on getting together with some dear friends on Saturday. Have a wonderful weekend. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greece?? Oh, how I wish...:-) Thanks for the links, Karen. I'll be checking them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex,
    I can imagine! It should be a great event!

    Jessica,
    You are so welcome! Glad to do it! :)

    Maria,
    Glad you liked it. Both Hope and Jennifer inspire me! :)

    Kenda,
    Me too, what a trip that would be! Hope you find the links helpful!

    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links. I wish I could afford to attend the conference in Greece!

    I've had this short story that's nearly done I've been meaning to submit to Writer's Digest. I'd better get on it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting the links. Greece? Writers? What could be better?! I'm banking on Austin and writers as I'm attending Story Circle Network's Stories From the Heart conference I. April. Sure to be an inspiring time! Not Greece, but still wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the links. Greece? Writers? What could be better?! I'm banking on Austin and writers as I'm attending Story Circle Network's Stories From the Heart conference I. April. Sure to be an inspiring time! Not Greece, but still wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a wealth of links! Thanks Karen! Going to check some of these out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard about that retreat with Jessica and Chuck. Man, what a dream to go there to Greece for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trimming trees, that's my weekend plans. I love working outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Karen, where do you find all this stuff? Great!! Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff! And yes, what a great excuse to go to Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm curious...are you entering any of these contests, or are you too busy with your WIP to fit that in yet?

    Weekend plans? Celebrate Mr. Schrock and his birthday (that's today), then celebrate Valentine's Day with said Mister (that's tomorrow). Love is in the air! :)

    Hope you get some time with your honey, too, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Theresa,
    You are welcome. I know it, me too! Ah perhaps someday, when our books get published and hit the bestseller list! :)

    Linda,
    I know - Greece would be wonderful! Maybe someday, right? :) Have a great time at SCN!

    Lisa,
    You are welcome! :)

    Lydia,
    Thanks for tweeting this! Hope you find something helpful!

    Angela,
    Wouldn't it be, though? Well, maybe someday when we are rich and famous! :)

    Sally,
    Have fun! Sounds like good exercise!

    Marja,
    I have my sources...:) Actually I get a lot of newsletters, and much of this comes from those. Happy weekend!

    Blessings all,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhonda,
    Probably won't enter any of these right now. Have too many other things clamoring for attention, but maybe someday. Yes, date night tomorrow night - looking forward to it. Have fun with your fun stuff!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by and saying hello and have a great weekend. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darn, I don't have any great links to share, but I'll definitely be passing along yours. Greece. Ooy, that would be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Karen .. great response - and it's so good to see what is going on, even if I don't participate ... but I'd love to do the Greek retreat .. perhaps next year!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandie,
    Well, thank you so much! Hope your weekend is great too! :)

    Joylene,
    Thanks a bunch! Your blog would be a great link to pass along. :)

    Hilary,
    Ah yes, you might be closer to Greece than I - perhaps you need to go next time around. You could be our scout and tell us all about it! :)

    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a well of information and support for writers. Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of cool things happening besides the snow, eh? That's excellent about Jessica having the speaking opportunity.


    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  22. Annie,
    Aw, you are making me blush. :) You are so sweet, thank you!

    Lee,
    Yes, the snow seems to be a minor issue, I suppose, depending on where you are. Yes, excited for Jessica!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great links, amigo. I am trying to get a short story written for inclusion in an anthology. Otherwise, I would love to enter the Writers Digest competition.

    Hope Clark is awesome, isn't she?

    I hope you are having a super weekend. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read the article by Mr.Christensen. 15 calories per minute to think, huh? This might be the latest weight loss craze. Of course, it probably doesn't work if you're consuming chocolate at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a lot of great links. Thanks, Karen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!