Monday, September 24, 2018

Book Spotlight with Jeanette Levellie





Jeanette Levellie is here to celebrate the second edition release of The Heart of Humor: Sixty Helpings of Hilarity to Nourish Your Soul. It's a wonderful book, full of insight and humor that does exactly what it says, nourishes the soul. (Check out my review below.)

As you might have guessed, Jen and I met through blogging, and she's since become a good friend. So I'm excited to help her spread the word about this wonderful book.

Welcome Jen! Can you give us an overview of The Heart of Humor?


By all means! Here is the back cover copy, which took almost as much time and thought to write than the entire book:


Welcome to a vacation from stress, worry, and global whining. Learn the secrets of how laughter can help you:

  • Live healthier & longer
  • Deepen your relationships
  • Trust a God with the sense of humor that gives a 90-year-old lady a baby

In her sassy yet down-to-earth style, award-wining author and speaker Jeanette Levellie takes readers on fun trip through 45 short stories with titles like An Outhouse to Celebrate, Confessions of a Jailbird, and Swimsuit Shopping Stress. Accompanying the stories are comical drawings by a professional animator, articles, and lists revealing the superpowers of humor such as Got Pain? Laugh it Away, Everybody Loves Dummies, and Ten Ways to Help Yourself Laugh.



I can vouch for the fact that Heart of Humor is a fun and encouraging read. How did the idea for it come about?

I’d been writing humor columns for a Christian magazine for five years. I had so many on file, I decided to compile the best ones into a book. After writing articles about the benefits of humor and compiling lists of humor quotes and the best funny movies, The Heart of Humor was born. In this second edition, we’ve added 8 cartoons and a new cover, which has a laughing redhead who looks suspiciously like me!
 

Yes...I noticed that - the cover does somehow resemble you. :) What other books have you written? Can you share a bit about them?


Two Scoops of Grace with Chuckles on Top, my best seller, is a humorous devotional focusing on God’s bottomless heart of grace. Comical drawings from my son accompany nine of the chapters.


Shock the Clock is a fun time management system that focuses on different personality types. A great feature of this book is the list of time management tips by well-known Christian authors, agents, and editors.


Touchable God, features 25 personal stories about how I developed friendship with God through talking to him. The final 20 chapters are actual prayers for friends in crisis.

Thanks for stopping by, Jen! I know others will be blessed by your books. May you enjoy much success through every facet of your life and writing.

Thank you, Karen!


Find Jeanette 


Jeanette's Books 

The Heart of Humor  
Shock the Clock 
Touchable God
 

My Review of The Heart of Humor

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Jeanette Levellie’s gift for humor is evident, and shines through every chapter. Readers will appreciate her down to earth style, and will laugh (maybe cry, too) as she shares personal anecdotes and lessons learned. For example, one of my favorite chapters, “I Love My Hips”, reminds us that our worth goes beyond physical features. Ms. Levellie is the real deal; she understands how important it is to laugh at ourselves and keep a good perspective. I am sure that her wit and wisdom will entertain and lift you up.


Winner


Congratulations to Cecelia Lester! She's the winner of a copy of River to Redemption by Ann Gabhart. Thanks to everyone who stopped by for last week's post and interview

Do you think that humor helps us through the hard times? What questions do you have for Jeanette? What are you reading this week?

Happy writing, 
Karen




14 comments :

  1. Smart way to use those articles. Congratulations on the new edition, Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! It's fun to make others laugh! Happy Day, Jen

      Delete
  2. Thanks for having me today, Karen. It's always a pleasure to be here with you!
    Joy-filled day in Jesus, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,
    You're right - it is a great way to use the articles! It's such a good way to reach more people with her uplifting insight.

    Jen,
    You're welcome! It's my pleasure, always. Blessings and hugs to you. x0

    Happy reading and writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always admire writers who can write humor and short stories. Congrats on your new book, Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I don't take credit for this gift; I believe I was born with it. My daddy had a great sense of humor and it was passed down to me. I came out of the womb with a cigar in my mouth spouting one-liners, and then returned to the hospital two weeks later to teach "How to Win Friends and Influence Parents" classes.

      Delete
  5. Natalie,
    Me too! Jen has a gift for it, and conveys wonderful messages all at the same time.:)

    Diane,
    It really is. She shares straight from the heart, and touches us through it all.

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Karen. You are so sweet. A real cheerleader. And we all need those!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen and Jeanette - congratulations on your new book ... looks to be a gentle dose of humour ... just what we all need ... and sixty doses of stories - makes a great read ... congratulations and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh when she said it took her as much time to write the back cover copy as it did to write the book! Sign of a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone needs more laughter. I don't often read for laughs, unless it's my old journals, but I'm tempted to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanette,
    It's always such a pleasure to have you visit! Someday we'll do a real visit! :)

    Hilary,
    I agree, humor is one of those necessary things in life. :) Appreciate you coming to see us! :)

    Lee,
    I know right? I had to laugh as well - that's us, for sure. :) Thanks so much for coming to see us!

    Crystal,
    Yes, you are right! If you have time to give it a read, I think you might like Jen's sense of humor. :)

    Happy reading,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!