Monday, May 22, 2017

5 Classic Writing Tips





 
Good writing advice is timeless, and especially treasured when it comes from a wonderful friend. Nancy Plent, one such friend, came to mind the other day. I met this inspiring lady about 28 years ago. She fostered my writing journey even before I knew I was headed that way. We met when I was searching for homeschooling info. (She was the founder of Unschoolers Network, New Jersey's only state homeschool organization at that time.)

Since we lived 2 hours apart, we got acquainted through phone calls and emails, and before long, Nancy had me writing articles for the Network newsletter and helping with parent support services. Working with her was great fun; not only did she become a good friend, she offered more opportunities to write and build other skills. The experience was priceless. 


Nancy was the one who encouraged me to self publish a booklet for homeschool parents. She offered advice on content, formatting, and marketing. I would not have taken that step had it not been for her support. The booklet eventually became my first book published by a traditional publisher. 

Her advice, back in the days prior to the social media explosion, was spot on. I believe that its classic elements still apply to most any type of writing.

Nancy's Advice

1) Be real.  Authentic, down to earth, approachable - people relate to these qualities. Nancy's friendly, encouraging, and conversational writing style was worth emulating. 

2) Give readers something they need. Content must be appealing, target the right audience, and be user-friendly. Take away value is crucial - readers must be able to apply it to real life. 


3) Use examples. Well chosen illustrations nail your point. Help readers say, "Yes, I can do this!" 


4) Use words efficiently. Well written, concise content is appealing; clutter, rambling, and disorder distracts.  


5) Employ digestible blocks of text. Large sections of text can overwhelm and potentially lose readers. Not that they must be spoon fed a few sentences at a time, but a nice balance can help readers process content. 

Even though Nancy passed away in 2011, it makes me smile to think of the influence she still has on my journey. Timeless, treasured, and worthy of passing along.

Did you have anyone influencing your writing journey before you knew you wanted to write? Do any of Nancy's tips resonate with you?


Happy writing,

Karen 


Photo credit - Free Images

22 comments :

  1. Great tips by Nancy. I especially agree that large blocks of text are hard for readers to plow through. Awesome that Nancy and you were friends and that she helped you so much with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were very fortunate to know her. Look at the path she led you on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,
    I'm glad you concur. You know the industry well, so I appreciate your input. :)

    Alex,
    She was a great blessing. I'm ever grateful for her friendship and influence. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL of Nancy's tips resonate with me. My mentors have been many, but my online writer's group - there are 4 of us - has been a constant source of friendship and encouragement. Great post, Karen, as usual. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy's tips are definitely timeless. I've received some great tips from various writing instructors, but I don't know that I have one that I consider a mentor in that same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant advice that has withstood the test of time! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen - so sad to read that Nancy has passed away - yet she has left her voice with you ... and you are doing a great job to make sure she's not forgotten. I count my blogging friends as my mentor - I'm sure at some stage when I publish - I'll find someone to be there for me ...

    I do wish people would not write reams in one paragraph - I'll endorse that major advice point! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. #2 is so important. Fill a need and give them something they can use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan,
    Sounds like you've been blessed with a wonderful support system! So glad for you. I'm sure you're a blessing to them as well!

    Tyrean,
    It's such a blessing to have wonderful help along the way, isn't it? We are truly blessed! :)

    MaryAnn,
    I agree, Nancy knew what she was talking about! She's one of several (you included) who have influenced this journey. :)

    Hilary,
    Yes, I do miss Nancy, but I actually still correspond with her husband, which is nice. He has quite the sense of humor! :) I think when you publish you won't be lacking in assistance. You're such a support and friend to so many, myself included! :)

    Diane,
    This is key, isn't it? And how we can help and serve others through our writing. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's some solid advice your friend gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely was to remember your good friend. Excellent and useful tips, as well. Thanks for commenting on Alex's blog. Great to meet you. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lee,
    She was very savvy about many things! :) Grateful for her input.

    Ivy,
    Thank you. And thanks for stopping by! It was nice to meet you on Alex's blog. :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Avid readers are always searching and exploring for new knowledge, so important No2

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like #4. IT speaks to the idea of writing tight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spacer Guy,
    This is true! And as writers, we can deliver that, right? :)

    Holly,
    I thought so - glad you agree! :) They apply to so much.

    Cecelia,
    Yes, I agree with you on that one. Such important principles, for sure! :)

    Lynda,
    She sure did. I didn't quite realize just how spot on she was way back then! :)

    Happy writing,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great advice your friend passed on to you and now you've passed it along to others. Thanks! I'd say it was my high school journalism teacher who influenced my writing first but since then so many other great encouragers have crossed my path. I like point #3 since I'm drawn to examples myself...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen! I definitely agree with the large blocks of text tip. I can think of many times I gloss over large paragraphs, and think of an author I met. She said she didn't believe in long chapters, and her books reflected that. Of course, you have to get expert at digesting material and being succinct, but isn't that what we all should be doing?
    Thank you for the great advice, as usual!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kenda,
    I think of Nancy's advice often - she knew her stuff! :) So many wonderful people help with the journey, don't they?

    Ceil,
    I have a tendency to skim over large paragraphs too, depending on what the content is. :) I agree, a succinct message is often the best kind.

    Happy weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like great advice. I am glad your friend Nancy was able to give you such wonderful advice and that she got you writing! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!