Bethany House Publishers
Michigan, 1880 - Annalisa Werner's hope for a fairy tale love is over. Her husband failed her in every way and now his death has left her with few options to save the family farm. She needs a plentiful harvest. That, and a husband to help bring it in. Someone strong, dependable. That’ll be enough. A marriage for love...that's something she's given up on.
So her father sends a letter to his brother in the Old Country, asking him to find Annalisa a groom.
Then a man appears: Carl Richards, from their home country of Germany and a former schoolteacher--or so he says. He's looking for work and will serve on the farm until her husband arrives.
With time running out, she accepts his help, but there's more to this man than he's admitting. He's also gentle, kind, charming--unlike any man she's ever known. But even as Carl is shining light into the darkness of her heart, she knows her true groom may arrive any day.
I have yet to read a book by Jody Hedlund that I did not like. Her latest, A Noble Groom, is no exception. Set in her home state of Michigan, this book tells an engaging story of perseverance and trust. The main characters, the recently widowed Annalisa Werner and new immigrant Carl Richards, are the kind of characters that Hedlund has a knack for creating - memorable ones.
Annalisa and Carl watch their worlds shift and collide through circumstances beyond their control. To survive, they must adjust accordingly. Despite the fact that they are drawn to each other, their relationship is hindered by well-kept secrets.
Memorable Characters Quiz
Can you name the memorable characters from these books and/or films? You get bonus brownie points if you can name both! (Sorry, no real brownies are involved.) Answers below. :)
- Scout called her father, a lawyer in the Deep South, by his first name. Who is he?
- Name Heathcliff's love in the dark but classic Emily Bronte tale.
- Prince Humperdinck and Princess Buttercup are characters in this 1987 film. What is the name of the Spanish swordsman?
- What is the name of the photographer portrayed by Jimmy Stewart in the 1954 Hitchcock thriller?
- L.M. Montgomery wrote a few adult fiction stories (still G rated, btw). One featured a timid female character who finally got the nerve to stand up to overbearing relatives after a startling diagnosis from her doctor. What is her name?
Need advice on creating memorable characters? Check out Jody's post entitled 3 Tips for Creating Enthralling Characters.
If you'd like more info on Jody and her books, visit her website at jodyhedlund.com.
Purchase A Noble Groom at Amazon.
Congratulations Jody, on another great book! Wishing you all the best!
What elements make a character memorable? What are you reading this week?
Happy reading and writing,
Kindly note: As an influencer for author Jody Hedlund, I received this book free of charge from Bethany House.
1. Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird
2. Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights
3. Inigo Montoya played by Mandy Patinkin in The Princess Bride
4. L.B "Jeff" Jefferies in Rear Window
5. Valancy Stirling in The Blue Castle