Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm it!

I've been tagged!

Kenda Turner and Janette Dolores passed this eleven question meme to me. Thank you ladies!

Here goes:

1) Book or movie, and why?

First choice - a good book to curl up with, particularly on a cold or rainy day. I enjoy a good movie too, like Pride and Prejudice or Anne of Green Gables. If a movie is well done, I don't mind if it's a little different from the book.

2) Real book or E-book?

I think I will always prefer books; there's something about holding them in my hand and turning real pages.  My husband has a Kindle, and one of these days I should hijack it and give it the old college try.

3) Funniest thing you've done in the last five years.

Around here, we are laughing all the time. So why am I drawing a blank on this? Hmm, well, the last time we cracked up as a family was while playing Telephone Pictionary. It's a game my daughter in law taught us, and it involves drawing pictures of interesting sentences, like, "The angry mouse ate a bacon cheeseburger while watching a movie." Long story short, it's a version of "Whisper Down the Lane", only with pictures. The results are hilarious.

4) How would your best friend describe you?

Is it cheating if you ask them? Loyal, smart, encouraging, a good listener, and definitely ready to get dollar menu at McD's or salads at Zaxby's at a moment's notice.

5) Do you put yourself into the books you read/write or movies you watch?

I put myself into the book I am writing, for I can relate to many of the main character's quirks and attributes. When books and movies make me cry, I guess I'm identifying there as well.

6) Favorite kind of car and why.

I drive a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and since it gets me where I am going, it tops the list of favorites. But if someone gave me a new 2012 model, that would become my new favorite. Just sayin'.

I also love the Ford Mustang. Affection for that car may have begun when I was a kid; my Dad had a 65 Mustang. I used to sit in the driver's seat on top of Dad's school books (he taught high school math) and pretend I was driving. So if someone showed up at my house with a gift wrapped Mustang, I would not refuse that either. 

7) What would your choice be - catered meal or barbeque out back?

As much as I love a barbeque with family and friends, I think a catered meal might be fun for a change. Filet Mignon would be nice. :) I also like Italian food, in case anyone is taking notes for birthday ideas.

8) What's your favorite season and why.

I love autumn. I enjoy the refreshing temperatures after the summer heat. The fall colors are a feast for the eyes, and I love walking and taking it all in. Several family members' birthdays and our wedding anniversary are in October too, so there are many reasons to celebrate this wonderful season.

9) What specific lesson have you learned - spiritual, educational, occupational?

"Don't ever give up." This is something I'm learning in each category. 

10) Besides writing, what are your favorite things to do when you get extra time?

Spend time with my husband, kids, and grandson. Read. Call a friend. 

11) What's one place you can be found at least once a week?

Do the grocery store and gas station count? :P

When it's not super cold or raining, I go to the park and walk. I walk 5 days a week when I can, either on our property (we have 5 acres) or at the park.


The original idea is to pass this tag on to eleven bloggers, but I decided to pass this on to all of you. If you have the time and interest, please feel free to share your answers on your blog. :)


P.S. Slightly Off Topic 

Coffeehouse for Writers workshops begin today, April 30. Classes include writing basics, historical fiction, blogging, writing for children, and much more. Check them out, if you hurry, there's still time to sign up!


What things would we be surprised to learn about you?

Happy writing,
Karen



Photo credit: Stock Exchange

28 comments :

  1. Hi, Karen. It was nice to learn more about you. I love my regular books too. But now that I'm packing, I realize how out of control my collection has become, even with constant donations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun game!

    My hubby's first car and a few cars after that was a Grand Jeep Cherokee. He loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun!
    I'm with you on #8. I love autumn too.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa,
    I know it - books do take up a lot of room! We were just discussing this with friends last night. Our thought was what if something happened to electricity? Real books aren't affected. Ebooks would be.

    Jennifer,
    It is a fun game! We get a lot of laughs out of that one. Jeeps - yes - they are great. It all started when my son bought his Cherokee for his first car. We were hooked!

    Donna,
    I know, fall is great, isn't it? Thinking of it helps keep me plodding through the summer heat. :)

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I WISH we had a Zaxby's near us! We discovered them on a trip to So. Carolina six years ago, and have never found a chicken restaurant to compare since!

    Fun to get to know you better, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had 5 acres to walk on every morning. I'd feel like Elizabeth Bennett, taking my daily walks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, it was so much fun to read your responses. Good point about identifying with characters that make us cry in books and movies.

    And thank you for the shout out. :)

    BTW, if anyone is thinking of taking a Coffeehouse for Writers workshop, I took one not too long ago and learned a lot from it. I'd definitely recommend these workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun to learn more about you and the pictionary game sounds hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen,
    Well, whenever you come my way we must go! That would be fun! Love their salads. :)

    Lydia,
    If you are ever in my neighborhood, feel free to take a stroll! :)

    Janette,
    No problem at all. :) Thank you for passing this along to me! Thanks also for the shout out about the Coffeehouse. Glad you found it helpful!

    Annie,
    Thanks a bunch! Will give you the specifics on the game sometime if you want. :)

    Blessings all,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love learning more about you, amigo. I gotta have my books too. They are warm and they smell better than a Kindle. Ha!

    I know you are a good listener. Look at all the times you've listened to moi!

    This was so much fun. I heart you woman! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen:
    I remember when the Mustangs first came out. They were pretty. When we see one on the road, I remember how attracted to them I was.
    I took two classes from the Coffee House last summer. I enjoyed the information and the focus of each class.
    I like Italian food also. Hubby doesn't care for it but we do enjoy spaghetti. I get lasgana when we go to Ryan's, if they have it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was very interesting, Karen. I was with you on several of them! Thanks for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Karen,

    I liked reading about you. It was interesting and fun!

    Riya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robyn,
    Ha, books smell better than a Kindle - never thought of that! Good one! Hey, you've listened to me a time or two or three or four too...:D Love you too, girl!

    Cecelia,
    I love Mustangs; they're great! I knew you were a kindred spirit! :) I didn't realize you took Coffeehouse classes. Glad you liked them!

    Susan,
    See, I'm thinking great minds think alike, right? :) I just knew you were a great mind!

    Riya,
    Nice to meet you! Thanks so much for following. Will check out your blog (if you have one). :)

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen -

    Janette tagged me, so I'll save my responses for another day.

    BTW, Walmart has a special deal on the Kindle this week. $79, plus you get a $30 Walmart gift card. Anyone ready for some early Christmas shopping?

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, it's always fun to learn more about a blogging friend. Enjoyed reading your answers :-) And it looks like we share a mutual love for Mustangs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen ... love your answers and finding out a little more about you .. the Pictionary game would be awful - I can't draw for coffee ... I'd crave a barbecue out back!! lots of prawns, long and drawn out .. sardines, good salads, happy conversation ..

    Cheers and see you soon .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  18. 10a. Texting a friend. Ha!!

    I love this, Karen. And that game sounds like a scream! I can totally see this family playing that. Oh, my. And need I say it wouldn't be quiet?

    You could also add going for a mocha. But that would go with the whole book idea. Gracious. Now you've got me answering these questions for you.

    Happy Tuesday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan,
    Ah yes, it'll be fun to see what I don't know about you! :) Hey, that Kindle deal sounds like a good one!

    Kenda,
    Thanks for tagging me; this has been fun! Yes, perhaps someday we will meet halfway between your place and mine, both driving our Mustangs! :)

    Hilary,
    Well, now that sounds like some barbeque! Fun! :) Perhaps I'll come and bring the game!

    Rhonda,
    Oh yes, I forgot about the texting! How could I forget that? :) Feel free to answer away - I enjoy hearing more about all of you!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was interesting to hear about your favorite cars. I don't often think about things like that when I'm blogging. I drive a mini-van, but my favorite cars are Jeeps . . .however, my favorite care we actually own is a really old Mazda 626, stick shift. I don't like automatics much . . . driving our mini-van puts me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are like me, I too would love to curl up with a good book. Nice getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tyrean,
    So you have great taste in cars! :) Never thought about automatic transmissions being boring. I suppose you might have a point!

    Rachna,
    Yes, yay for books! You don't have to charge their batteries! :)

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Howdy Miss Karen, I just wanted to pop over than thank you for visitin' with your sweet comment and hoppin' on my blog and look what I found out 'bout ya!!! Heeehehehee!!!

    God bless ya sweetie and in the words of that wacky old Granny Clampett, "ya'll come back now, ya hear?"

    Have a fantastic day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked learning more about you:) We wish we had five acres and are holding out for them someday someplace:))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nezzy,
    It's great to meet you! I enjoyed my stop at your blog. :) Thanks for your kind invitation! :)

    Terri,
    Oh yes, there's some acreage out there somewhere for you, I just know it! Good things ahead.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Karen! So nice to hear your preferences!
    I'm with you on so many of them!

    Books, characters, walking, listening... Jane Austen...

    What more is there to say?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rahul,
    Thank you. :) These memes can be fun. Hope you decide to try it!

    Cheryl,
    Great minds think alike, right? :) You're right, nothing more to say!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Have a blessed day!