More on Rules for Writing
Thanks to all who provided input on Monday's post about writing rules! I value your thoughts, and appreciate the time it takes to stop by and comment.
It seems that I was on target with my short list, which included:
1) Practice writing
2) Stay connected
3) Keep learning
4) Give back
So what else?
Your two cents added up to more great guidelines:
- Fighting and working through discouragement - several of you brought this one up.
- "Don't get the big head" (my paraphrase) - keeping that ego from thinking too highly of itself.
- Read an assortment of things often, to enrich, provide a bigger worldview, and generate ideas.
- Pray. Divine guidance. For me, always a given.
- Let it rest. Don't be in a hurry to submit after the last word is typed. A new day provides fresh perspective.
- Trim it up! Our best work has usually been cut, cut, and cut some more.
- Keep a positive outlook. Ties in with fighting through discouragement.
- Chill. Don't get defensive about feedback. Let it settle in and then process.
- Chocolate. Yes! How could I have forgotten this one? Silly me.
Do you have anything else to add? When was the last time you were discouraged with your writing? What did you do about it?
Have a wonderful weekend!
Photo credit: dbgeorge http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1086794